5.01.2009

Time to Roll...

I thought about starting a blog last summer, but I never did. Continued to consider it later on, but I didn't have much on my mind at the time. Now seems to be as good of a time as there ever could be. I'm looking harder for a new, full-time job than ever before all the while the industry I work in is changing faster than it ever has.. faster even than it was changing at the top of the calendar year. It's rather nuts and after I got back from a 2 week road trip last month... I decided I needed to jump on board this speeding technological/multimedia train before I had to start chasing after it. So, I joined LinkedIn and I joined Twitter. Both are a work in progress, but I get the concept of both and think both are a good idea.

In any case, times are a changin' like never before. No, seriously. I really don't think you understand. This is rather crazy absurd. Technology is changing at an eye popping speed right now, all while going through a recession with a new president. Weird. We are still at war right? B/c I think we all forgot about that.

Twitter is jumping off the charts. LinkedIn is growing rapidly. And things like Red Box movie rentals are also growing at equally eye-popping speeds. (Did you know you can rent movies for free from Red Box right now? Yes.. FREE. Otherwise, the movies are a BUCK per day. How is Blockbuster still in business, particularly in this economy? Netflix.. your fate is doomed as well.

Oh yeah, and before I wrap up this first entry (mind you.. growing up I HATED having to do journal entries for class so I never foresaw myself starting a blog) .... the point of this blog will largely be to express my thoughts of an ever changing television news industry; its direction may change over the long haul who knows.

With that said, this first entry is to touch on the present matter at hand and that is, is the news media sensationalizing the swine flu story? I can believe yes, it is definitely some what (and most certainly depends on the particular news outlet), but I also point to the government... to the president himself and the health departments on the federal, state, and local levels. When health departments advise that an entire school shut down b/c one kid has flu-like symptoms... that's crazy. And that is not us the media creating the drama. We're simply reporting what the government and health officials are saying. Have we done everything right? No. Can we do better? Yes. Is this all our fault? Absolutely, positively not.

Good night and good luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment